As the coronavirus spread around the world and with rising number of confirmed cases in Africa, the government of Ghana is set to impose stricter controls at its border checks to curtail the spread of the virus.
The President, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, in a televised presidential address on Wednesday, said the Ministry of Health has been directed to designate a quarantine facility at various border checks to hold infected persons at the various entry points.
So far, Ghana has tested 46 suspected cases of the deadly virus, which proved negative.
The President continued, “I have, as at yesterday, ordered a suspension of all international travels by public officials. Except for critical assignments, which will have to be authorised by the Chief of Staff at the Office of the President, all public officials are to remain within the jurisdiction, until further notice. Video conferencing facilities and other technological tools are to be utilised, whenever possible, for international engagements.”
Despite the aforementioned measures to enhance the country’s response plans, President Akufo-Addo disclosed that the sum of $100 million has been released to tackle the virus.
Ghana’s entry points, such as her airports and land borders, President Akufo-Addo said, continue to show satisfactory preparedness to screen all entrants into the country, with the Ministry of Health designating a quarantine facility that can hold infected persons, whilst regional hospitals are preparing isolation centres for holding suspected cases.